As we’ve covered before, Northern Snakehead are an excellent gamefish and they also taste delicious. You can check out our post on Northern Snakehead Fishing Here. Although the Virginia Department of Game of Fisheries has recently said that snakehead are not having the once-feared effect of decimating local fish populations, they still recommend killing the fish to prevent their further spread. So what’s the easiest way to control a fish population? Come up with a delicious snakehead recipe!
One of our favorite snakehead recipes is blackened northern snakehead. It’s also super quick and easy to make. In fact, you probably already have most of the ingredients in your kitchen. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 4 Snakehead Fillets
- 3 Tablespoons Paprika
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 Pinch Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon White Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Thyme
- 1/2 Teaspoon Celery Seed
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl until sufficiently blended.
- Heat your cast iron skillet on the highest heat.
- Coat fillets with vegetable oil(can be substituted for olive oil or melted butter) then cover them with the blended dry ingredients.
- Carefully place your fillets into the now-hot cast iron pan and cook for 45 seconds on each side.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Warning! Make sure you use this snakehead recipe in a well ventilated area. All the pepper seasoning on the extremely hot pan can create some powerful fumes! This quick snakehead recipe is delicious and also has to be one of the easiest ways to cook fish. Highly recommend you try it! Have any other good snakehead recipes? Feel free to share them in the comments below!